Monday, March 9, 2009

The End

Today at The Kill Zone, they are discussing things that make readers stop reading or toss the book. It's a good discussion so check it out.

One of my pet peeves is the end of the book. I want an end that makes me feel good, makes me feel all is right with the world and that the characters I've come to love will be "okay." I want an end that makes me believe I've not wasted my time reading the book. I want an end that makes sense, that leaves me going "Aaaahhhhhh!" An end that makes me want to go find more books by this author and have a read-fest.

I love reading series for the most part. And I understand the author wants you to purchase the next book in the series. However, when they leave the reader hanging out on a limb without resolving the main conflict, it drives me nuts. It makes me think they stuck that end on as a gimmick.

That really annoys me. What annoys you enough to stop reading a novel?

No comments: