Sunday, September 20, 2009

POV Dilemma

Those of you who stop by here on a regular basis know the horrid time I've had deciding on which POV to write my novel in.

I started the darn thing in third and had about three chapters done. Then, due to shoulder vultures and encouragement from a friend, I gave first person a try and actually liked that better.

At about the 10k mark, I started questioning my choice though. It's been nagging at me for about 35k now and I finally decided to revise part of chapter one back into third person since I'd gotten a better grip on my MC's voice.

Both POVs worked well. I still couldn't decide which way to go. So, I talked to my mentor tonight.

She told me a couple things I already know. First, that first person POV is a weaker pov to write in. You are limited by just what the character sees, knows, hears, smells, etc.

Next, that first person had a different structure than third person. Meaning, you have to plan your scenes so that you can get in the info you need instead of being able to use others to get the info to the reader.

So...you guessed it. I'm back to third person pov for the novel. I'm going to continue where I left off on Friday in third person and will revise the previous later.

I feel good about the change. Not only can I get in a bit more info, I can add another character's pov and get his take on things too.

I'm ready to get started.

Be sure to stop by Let's Write a Novel...Together! and see what's happening there. I'm posting every day there during the week and we'll start planning our NaNo novels in Oct.

No comments: